BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Swedish
Where did the English Swenson family come from? When did the Swenson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Swenson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Swainson, Swanston, Swenson, Swenston, Swainston, Swanson and many more.
First found in Durham where they were Lords of the manor of Stockton from early times. But by the year 1221 they had moved north into Scotland and acquired the lands of Swaynystoun, near Colinton, in Midlothian, where Duncan Swainston was the scion of that branch. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swenson research. Another 195 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1605, 1661, 1660 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Swenson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swenson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swenson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- David Swenson, aged 29, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1838
- Gustavus C Swenson, aged 25, landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1843
- Ephraim Swenson, who landed in Texas in 1850-1906
- Ewen Swenson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Anders Swenson, aged 38, landed in New Orleans, La in 1850
- Swen Swenson (1932-1993), American Broadway dancer and singer
- Erick Swenson (b. 1972), American artist and sculptor
- Kenneth Lloyd Swenson (b. 1948), retired middle distance runner from the United States
- Jesse Swenson (b. 1986), American actor
- Mary Ann Swenson, American bishop of the United Methodist Church
- Kari Swenson (b. 1962), American former biathlete
- Eric Leon Swenson (1946-2011), American skateboard designer and magazine publisher
- Swante M. Swenson (1816-1896), American founder of the SMS Ranches in West Texas
- Oscar A. Swenson (1877-1951), Minnesota politician
- Perry Swenson (b. 1982), American professional golfer
- The Search for Ancestors: a Swedish-American Family Saga by Hildor Arnold Barton.
- The Swenson Saga and The SMS Ranches by Mary Whatley Clarke.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
This page was last modified on 11 June 2014 at 17:23.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is