100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Swartz family come from? What is the German Swartz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Swartz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Swartz family history?Thuringia, which is located between Hessen and Lower Saxony in the west and Saxony in the east, is the noble birthplace of the name Swartz. It is derived from the low German word "Schwarze," which means "black," or "swarthy."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schwartz, Swartz, Schwarz, Schwartze, Schwarte and others.
First found in the Thuringian region, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System. Chronicles trace the use of "Schwarz" as a name as far back as the seventh century, when two brothers, "der schwarze und der weisse Ewald," worked as missionaries in Westphalia.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swartz research. Another 256 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1530, 1602, 1621, 1638, 1710, 1801, 1858, and 1867 are included under the topic Early Swartz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 53 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swartz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swartz Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Geoe Swartz, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Tobias Swartz, aged 26, landed in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Conrade Swartz, aged 32, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Johannes Swartz, aged 24, landed in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Hendrick Swartz, aged 19, landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
Swartz Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Swartz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806
- Jacob Fredrik Swartz, who arrived in New York in 1833
- Samuel Swartz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1836
- Mathias Swartz, who landed in New York, NY in 1838
- Thomas Swartz, who landed in Mississippi in 1839
Swartz Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Donnie Swartz, who arrived in Mississippi in 1902
- Merlin Swartz PhD, Professor of Religion (Islamic Studies), Harvard University
- Daniel S. Swartz (1934-1997), American NBA basketball player born in Owingsville, Kentucky
- Russell Anthony "Tony" Swartz (b. 1943), American actor, best known for his role as Flight Sergeant Jolly on the first Battlestar Galactica television series (1978)
- Dr. Jerome Swartz (b. 1940), American physicist and eraly developer of barcode scanning technologies, co-founder of Symbol Technologies, now a subsidiary of Motorola
- Joshua William Swartz (1867-1959), American politician, Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania
- Shane Swartz (b. 1975), American boxer in the 1990s, U.S. National Amateur Champion (1994 and 1995)
- Vernon Monroe "Monty" Swartz (1897-1980), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds
- Sherwin Merle "Bud" Swartz (1929-1991), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the St. Louis Browns
- Kit Swartz, American television producer for CNN, recipient of the 2009 George Polk Award
- Carl Johan Gustaf Swartz (1858-1926), Swedish politician who served as Prime Minister of Sweden from 30 March 1917 to 19 October 1917
- The Descendants of John Swartz, Sr., 1760-1817, of Saunsville, Shenandoah County, Virginia by Benjamin Kinsell Swartz.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Swartz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Swartz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2013 at 09:40.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!