BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Swedish
Where did the English Swanson family come from? What is the English Swanson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Swanson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Swanson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Swainson, Swanston, Swenson, Swenston, Swainston, Swanson and many more.
First found in Durham where they were Lords of the manor of Stockton from early times. But by the year 1221 they had moved north into Scotland and acquired the lands of Swaynystoun, near Colinton, in Midlothian, where Duncan Swainston was the scion of that branch. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swanson research. Another 195 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1605, 1661, 1660 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Swanson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swanson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swanson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Johan Swanson, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1627
- Anna Swanson settled in Salem Massachusetts in 1630
- Robert Swanson who settled in Virginia in 1649
- Robert Swanson, who arrived in Virginia in 1649
- James Swanson, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
Swanson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Swanson settled in Maryland in 1733
- Nicholas Swanson settled in Pennsylvania in 1771
Swanson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Swanson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1824
- John M Swanson, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1849
- Albert Swanson, who landed in Texas in 1850-1906
- Alexander B Swanson, who arrived in Mississippi in 1857
- Charles Swanson, who arrived in Mississippi in 1874
Swanson Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- H Swanson, who landed in Arkansas in 1903
- Nils August Swanson, who landed in Pensacola, Fl in 1904
- Swan Victor Swanson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1911
- August Swanson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1920
- Claude Augustus Swanson (1862-1939), American lawyer, eponym of the USS Swanson (DD-443)
- Bob Swanson (1912-1940), Indianapolis 500 driver
- Don R. Swanson (b. 1924), American information scientist
- Gloria Swanson (1897-1983), Academy Award-nominated, Golden Globe-winning American actress, best known for her role as Norma Desmond in the acclaimed film Sunset Boulevard (1950)
- Howard Swanson (1907-1978), American composer
- Kristen Noel "Kristy" Swanson (b. 1969), American Young Actress Award winning actress, best known for playing Buffy Summers in the film Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)
- Robert A. Swanson (1947-1999), American venture capitalist, Genentech founder
- Steven R. Swanson (b. 1960), American astronaut with 336 hours in space
- Carl A. Swanson (1879-1949), Swedish-born, American founder of the national food production company, Swanson
- Charles Edward Swanson (1879-1970), American politician in Iowa, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Iowa's 9th congressional district (1929 – 1933)
- Prairie Memories: A History of the Swanson, Erickson, and Lindgerg Families of North Dakota by Algot R. Swanson.
- I Remember by D. Verner Swanson.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Swanson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Swanson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 May 2014 at 13:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is