BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Belgium Stroup family come from? What is the Belgium Stroup family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stroup family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stroup family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stroop, Stroup, Strope, Stroopere, Struppi and others.
First found in Belgium, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in East Flanders, a province in Belgium. Within this province the notable towns are Ghent, the capital city, St Nicolas, Alost, Termonde and Oudenarde. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stroup research. Another 219 words(16 lines of text) covering the year 1779 is included under the topic Early Stroup History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stroup Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stroup Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Adam Stroup, who came to Georgia sometime between 1733 and 1783
- Charles Stroup, who arrived in North Carolina sometime between 1792 and 1862
Stroup Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Adolph Stroup, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1805
- Adolph Stroup, aged 21, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1805
- Dennis Stroup, aged 27, landed in Missouri in 1849
- John Stroup, who arrived in Ohio in 1850
- Alowis Stroup, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854
- Kevin Stroup (b. 1957), American actor
- Keith Stroup, American attorney and founder of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
- Jessica Leigh Stroup (b. 1986), American actress and fashion model
- Stanley G. Stroup, American politician, former member of the Pennsylvania State Senate
- Richard L. Stroup, American free market environmentalist adjunct professor
- Dan Stroup (b. 1968), Canadian Lacrosse coach
- Stroope/Stroop Family History by Connie Stroope Brooks.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
The Stroup Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stroup Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 June 2014 at 09:32.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is