100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Straker family come from? What is the English Straker family crest and coat of arms? When did the Straker family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Straker family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Straker, Strache, Stracher, Stracour, Strakour, Stracher, Striker and many more.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1246 when Robert Straker held lands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Straker research. Another 260 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Straker History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Straker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Straker Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Nora Straker, aged 7, who landed in America from London, in 1892
- Wilhelmina Straker, aged 26, who settled in America, in 1892
- David A. Straker, aged 18, who emigrated to America, in 1897
Straker Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- James H. Straker, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States from England, in 1905
- Samuel Straker, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Broomside, England, in 1907
- Thomas Straker, aged 40, who landed in America from Broomside, England, in 1907
- Tooke G. Straker, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States from Morton-on-Tees, England, in 1912
- John Arthur Straker, aged 5, who settled in America from London, England, in 1914
- Lester "Les" Paul Straker Bolnalda (b. 1959), Venezuela-born, American former Major League Baseball right-handed starting pitcher
- Anthony Othneal Straker (b. 1988), English-born Barbadian footballer
- Nick Straker, born Nick Bailey, English musician based in London, founder of The Nick Straker Band
- Arthur Coppin Straker (1893-1961), English cricketer
- Sir Louis Hilton Straker KCMG (b. 1944), Deputy Prime Minister and foreign minister of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Sidney Straker (b. 1893), London motor agent, co-founder of Straker-Squire, a British automobile manufacturer based in Bristol
- Melissa Straker -Taylor (b. 1976), Barbados four-time bronze medalist female track and field sprinter
- Karen Straker (1964-1988), British silver medalist equestrian at the 1988 Summer Olympics
- Peter Straker (b. 1943), Jamaican-born singer and actor, best known for appearances in Doctor Who (1979)
- William Straker (1855-1941), British trade unionist, Secretary of the Northumberland Miners' Association (1905 to 1935)
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
The Straker Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Straker Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2013 at 08:29.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!