BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Straker family come from? What is the English Straker family crest and coat of arms? When did the Straker family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Straker family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Straker, Strache, Stracher, Stracour, Strakour, Stracher, Striker and many more.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1246 when Robert Straker held lands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Straker research. Another 260 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Straker History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Straker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Straker Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Nora Straker, aged 7, who landed in America from London, in 1892
- Wilhelmina Straker, aged 26, who settled in America, in 1892
- David A. Straker, aged 18, who emigrated to America, in 1897
Straker Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- James H. Straker, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States from England, in 1905
- Samuel Straker, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Broomside, England, in 1907
- Thomas Straker, aged 40, who landed in America from Broomside, England, in 1907
- Tooke G. Straker, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States from Morton-on-Tees, England, in 1912
- John Arthur Straker, aged 5, who settled in America from London, England, in 1914
- Lester "Les" Paul Straker Bolnalda (b. 1959), Venezuela-born, American former Major League Baseball right-handed starting pitcher
- Anthony Othneal Straker (b. 1988), English-born Barbadian footballer
- Nick Straker, born Nick Bailey, English musician based in London, founder of The Nick Straker Band
- Arthur Coppin Straker (1893-1961), English cricketer
- Sir Louis Hilton Straker KCMG (b. 1944), Deputy Prime Minister and foreign minister of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Sidney Straker (b. 1893), London motor agent, co-founder of Straker-Squire, a British automobile manufacturer based in Bristol
- Melissa Straker -Taylor (b. 1976), Barbados four-time bronze medalist female track and field sprinter
- Karen Straker (1964-1988), British silver medalist equestrian at the 1988 Summer Olympics
- Peter Straker (b. 1943), Jamaican-born singer and actor, best known for appearances in Doctor Who (1979)
- William Straker (1855-1941), British trade unionist, Secretary of the Northumberland Miners' Association (1905 to 1935)
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
The Straker Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Straker Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2013 at 08:29.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is