100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the German Stover family come from? What is the German Stover family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stover family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stover family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stauffer, Staufer, Staufert, Stouffer, Stover and others.
First found in Switzerland, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The name is derived from the Old High German word "stouf," and is an occupational name for a maker or seller of beakers or mugs. The name was also a habitation name adopted from one of the many places so named in Switzerland or Germany.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stover research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1907 and 1944 are included under the topic Early Stover History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stover Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stover Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Sylvester Stover, who arrived in New England in 1652
Stover Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Martin Stover, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1761
- Christian Stover, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1763
Stover Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Philip Stover, who arrived in Maryland in 1801
- Leon Eugene Stover (1929-2006), American anthropologist
- Matthew Stover (b. 1962), U.S. fantasy novelist
- John Matthew "Matt" Stover (b. 1968), retired American Football placekicker
- Dan Stover (b. 1951), U.S. public educator
- Russell Stover (1888-1954), American founder of Russell Stover Candies
- Elgie Stover (b. 1938), American songwriter, composer, producer and background singer
- David Stover (b. 1979), American retired NASCAR driver
- David Stover (b. 1979), former NASCAR driver
- Stover, Stoever, Staver, Stiver: and Account Of the Ancestry and Descendants of Johann Caspar Stoevar of Pennsylvania by Vernon Stiver.
- Benjamin Parrott, c. 1795-1839 and Lewis Stover, 1781-1850/60, of Overton County, Tennessee by Mavis Parrott Kelsey.
- The Stover/Stauffer Connection by Raymond M. Stover.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Stover Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stover Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 January 2013 at 22:22.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!