100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Story family come from? What is the English Story family crest and coat of arms? When did the Story family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Story family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Storie, Storey, Sturye, De Stury, Storrie, Story and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they were said to be descended from an ancient line of Viking settlers of knightly degree and with episcopal rank. Roughly translated from the Viking records the name means "dweller by large and rough water". They moved north into Renfrewshire and acquired considerable estates. William Storie was a charter witness in Dundee in 1281. They also became businessmen of Aberdeen by the year 1300.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Story research. Another 291 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1545, 1603, 1642, 1700, 1503, 1468, 1477, 1477, 1503, 1504, 1571, 1664, 1721, 1691 and are included under the topic Early Story History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 151 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Story Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Story family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 143 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Story Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Elias Story, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620
- Ellen Story, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620
- Augustine Story, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1638
- George Story, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1643
- Wm Story, who arrived in Virginia in 1645
Story Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Alexander Story, who landed in New York in 1709
- Hannah Story, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Anne Story, who landed in Virginia in 1717
- Thomas W Story, who arrived in New York in 1797
- Ephram Story, who landed in Mississippi in 1798
Story Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Ann Story, aged 16, arrived in New York, NY in 1803
- Ben Story, aged 18, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- Andrew Story, aged 31, arrived in New York, NY in 1805
- Lieut. Story, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1822
- James V Story, who landed in New York in 1826
- Joseph Story (1779-1845), American lawyer and jurist who served on the Supreme Court of the United States
- William Wetmore Story (1819-1895), American sculptor, art critic, poet and editor
- Laura Story (b. 1978), American Contemporary Christian music singer-songwriter
- Timothy Kevin Story (b. 1970), African-American film director
- Rick Story (b. 1984), American mixed martial artist
- Nelson Story Sr. (1838-1926), pioneer Montana entrepreneur, cattle rancher, miner and vigilante
- Ralph Story (1920-2006), American television and radio personality
- Blessed John Story (1504-1571), English Roman Catholic martyr
- Some Ancestors and Descendants of Joseph Rudd Jr., 1740-1818 and his Wife, Sarah Story, 1744-1842, of Bennington, Vermont by Dorothy Rudd DuMond.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Story Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Story Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 February 2014 at 20:48.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!