100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Stinson family come from? What is the English Stinson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stinson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stinson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stevenson, Stephenson, Stephinson, Stevenston, Steenson, Stenson, Steinson and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stinson research. Another 249 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1296, 1455, 1764, 1850, and 1894 are included under the topic Early Stinson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 28 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stinson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stinson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stinson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Stinson, who landed in Virginia in 1662
Stinson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- William Stinson, who landed in New England in 1751
- Ellaner Stinson, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
- Ellen Stinson, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- James Stinson, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
Stinson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Stinson, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1828
- David, Hugh, James, John, Robert, Thomas and William Stinson, who all arrived in Pennsylvania from 1844 to 1857
- David Stinson, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- B Stinson, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- M Stinson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Robert Neil "Bob" Stinson (1959-1995), founding member and lead guitarist for the American rock band The Replacements
- Harry Edward Stinson (1898-1975), American sculptor
- Katherine Stinson (1891-1977), fourth woman in the United States to obtain a pilot's certificate, inspiration of the Stinson Aircraft Company
- Thomas Eugene "Tommy" Stinson (b. 1966), American bassist, currently a member of Guns N' Roses
- Darrel Stinson (b. 1945), Canadian retired politician in British Columbia, Canada
- Douglas Robert Stinson (b. 1956), Canadian mathematician and cryptographer
- Kathy Stinson, Canadian children's writer
- Lloyd Stinson (1904-1976), Canadian politician in Manitoba, Leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation
- Brigadier Cecil Ambrose Stinson (1893-1991), Australian Deputy Director of Ordnance Services Army Headquarters from 1944 to 1945
- A History of the Stinson Family: in Scotland, Northern Ireland, New Hampshire and Illinois by William S. Stinson.
- Our Stinson's (sic) by Ulery Stinson.
- The Stinson Family by Leroy David Lillie.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Stinson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stinson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 October 2014 at 07:35.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!