BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Stilwell family come from? What is the English Stilwell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stilwell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stilwell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stillwell, Stilwell, Stylewell, Stylwell, Styllwell and many more.
First found in Surrey where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1324 when William Stillwell held estates.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stilwell research. Another 283 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, and 1583 are included under the topic Early Stilwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stilwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stilwell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Jasper Stilwell, who landed in Connecticut in 1650
- Roger Stilwell, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
Stilwell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- C W Stilwell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- O B Stilwell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1860
- General Joseph Warren Stilwell (1883-1946), United States Army four-star general best-known for his service in China
- Arthur Stilwell (1859-1928), Kansas City Southern Railway founder
- Frank C. Stilwell (1856-1882), American outlaw in the Old West
- General Richard Giles Stilwell (1917-1991), Commander of the United States Forces Korea from 1973 to 1976
- Silas Moore Stilwell (1800-1881), American lawyer and politician
- Simpson Everett Stilwell (1850-1903), United States Army Scout, Deputy U.S. Marshal and U.S. Commissioner in Oklahoma during the American Old West
- Wilber Moore Stilwell (1908-1974), American artist
- Charles Stilwell, American inventor of the paper bag which he patented in 1883
- Jean Stilwell, Canadian Mezzo Soprano
- Graham Stilwell (b. 1945), British former professional tennis player
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
The Stilwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stilwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 November 2013 at 08:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is