100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Stephenson family come from? What is the English Stephenson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stephenson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stephenson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stevenson, Stephenson, Stephinson, Stevenston, Steenson, Stenson, Steinson and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stephenson research. Another 249 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1296, 1455, 1764, 1850, and 1894 are included under the topic Early Stephenson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 28 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stephenson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stephenson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stephenson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Stephenson, who arrived in Virginia in 1636
- Christian and Anne Stephenson, who settled in Virginia in 1637
- Christian and Anne Stephenson settled in Virginia in 1637
- John Stephenson, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1645
- Christopher Stephenson, who arrived in Maryland in 1654
Stephenson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Daniel Stephenson, who landed in America in 1764
- Nancy Stephenson, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Thomas Stephenson settled in Maryland in 1774
- Thomas Stephenson, who settled in Maryland in 1774
- Stephen Stephenson, who landed in Mississippi in 1798
Stephenson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret Stephenson, aged 22, arrived in New Castle or Philadelphia in 1804
- Charles Stephenson, aged 29, landed in New Castle or Philadelphia in 1804
- Henry Stephenson, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Hugh Stephenson, who landed in New York in 1812
- Isaac Stephenson, who landed in New York in 1812
- Earl Stephenson (b. 1947), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Jean Stephenson, award-winning California artist and teacher
- Neal Town Stephenson (b. 1959), American Hugo Award winning writer known primarily for his science fiction works
- Riggs Stephenson (1898-1985), U.S. baseball player
- Samuel M. Stephenson (1803-1859), U.S. politician from Michigan
- Debra Stephenson (b. 1972), English actress, comedian, impressionist and singer
- George Robert Stephenson (1819-1905), English civil engineer
- Sir William Samuel Stephenson (1897-1989), Canadian soldier, airman, businessperson, inventor, spymaster and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- George Stephenson (1781-1848), British civil and mechanical engineer who created Stephenson's Rocket and created the railroad standard guage
- Vice Admiral Sir Gilbert Owen Stephenson CMG, CB, KBE, DL (1878-1972), British pioneer of anti-submarine techniques in World War I
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
The Stephenson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stephenson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 April 2013 at 13:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!