An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Italian Stepan family come from? What is the Italian Stepan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stepan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stepan family history?The Stepan surname comes from the personal name Stefano, which is the Italian form of the Latin name Stephanus.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Steffani, Stefano, Stefan, Stifano, Stevani, Stiévano, Stiévan, Schhivani, Stépan, Stéfanis, Stefanich, Stepanich and many more.
First found in Bolgna (Bononia) in Emilia where it is the capital of the province of Bologna. The famous University of Bolgna was founded in the 11th century, by the 13th century the student body was nearly 10,000. Dante and Petrarch studied there. Tisso was tried there for 1564 for writing satirical poems. Bologna naturally, is famous for its sausages. But many noted scholars were born there. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stepan research. Another 203 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1417, 1645, 1710, 1375 and 1460 are included under the topic Early Stepan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 33 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stepan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stepan Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
The Stepan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stepan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 January 2013 at 07:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.