100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Starrett family come from? What is the Scottish Starrett family crest and coat of arms? When did the Starrett family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Starrett family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stirrett, Stirett, Sterritt, Stirratt, Starratt, Starrat, Starret and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Starrett research. Another 210 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1341, 1698, and 1703 are included under the topic Early Starrett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Starrett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Starrett family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 286 words(20 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Starrett Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- William Starrett, who landed in New England in 1735
Starrett Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- James, John, Thomas, William, and W. J. Starrett, all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
- Charles Starrett (1903-1986), American actor, best known for his starring role in the Durango Kid (1940)
- Jack Starrett (1936-1989), American actor and film director
- Melvin Keith Starrett (b. 1951), United States federal judge
- Laroy S. Starrett (1836-1922), American businessman and inventor, founder of L. S. Starrett Company in 1905
- Mary Starrett (b. 1954), American National Political Communications Director of the Constitution Party
- Paul Starrett (1866-1957), American builder, best known for building the Empire State Building, the Flatiron Building, and Penn Station
- Charles Vincent Emerson Starrett (1886-1974), American detective, fantasy, horror writer and newspaperman
- Brooke Starrett, Australian footballer
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
The Starrett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Starrett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 September 2014 at 18:38.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!