BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Stanford family come from? What is the English Stanford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stanford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stanford family history?The Stanford family name comes from having lived in one of the many villages called Stanford, found in at least ten parishes in England. As such, the surname Stanford is classed as a habitation name, derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stanford, Standerford and others.
First found in Staffordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Stamford, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stanford research. Another 270 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1175 and 1461 are included under the topic Early Stanford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stanford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stanford family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 112 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stanford Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Stanford, who arrived in Virginia in 1633
- Jo Stanford, aged 24, landed in Barbados in 1635
- Ann Stanford settled in Virginia in 1637
- Richard Stanford, who arrived in Maryland in 1648
- Nell Stanford, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Stanford Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Lidia Stanford, who landed in Virginia in 1701
Stanford Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Stanford, aged 34, landed in Virginia in 1812
- S Stanford, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Charles Stanford, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Dewitt Stanford, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- William Stanford, who arrived in Arkansas in 1894
- Leland Stanford (1824-1893), American railroad builder, politician, and philanthropist, founder of Stanford University, California
- Aaron Stanford (b. 1976), American film actor
- Sir Allen Stanford (b. 1950), American billionaire convicted of masterminding a $7 billion Ponzi scheme, sentenced 110 years in federal prison
- Frank Stanford (1948-1978), American poet
- William Stanford (1910-1984), Irish classical scholar and senator
- Charles Villiers Stanford (1852-1924), Irish composer
- Henry King Stanford (b. 1916), former President of the University of Georgia
- J K Stanford (1892-1971), British writer and ornithologist
- Goin' Home by Timeri Murari.
- Moses Stanford, Minuteman by Lois Remington Smith.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Stanford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stanford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 August 2014 at 01:32.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is