BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Stagg family come from? What is the English Stagg family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stagg family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stagg family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stagg, Stagge, Staig, Stagg and others.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stagg research. Another 177 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1564, 1584, 1826 and 1792 are included under the topic Early Stagg History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stagg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stagg Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Wm Stagg, who arrived in America in 1635
- Fra Stagg, who landed in Virginia in 1663
- Robt Stagg, who landed in Virginia in 1664
Stagg Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Ben Stagg who settled in Pennsylvania in 1773
Stagg Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Phillip Stagg settled in New York in 1822
- John Roddam Stagg, who arrived in New York in 1843
- Clara Stagg, who arrived in New York in 1845
- A Stagg, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Daniel Stagg arrived in Philadelphia in 1865
- Amos Alonzo Stagg (1862-1965), American collegiate coach in multiple sports, primarily football
- Hilary Stagg (1957-1999), American musician
- Tom Stagg (b. 1923), U.S. district judge in the Western District of Louisiana
- Geoffrey Stagg, Professor and Chairman of Department of Espanic Studies, University of Toronto, Canada
- David Stagg (b. 1983), Australian rugby league player
- Emmet Stagg (b. 1944), Irish Labour Party politician
- Frank Stagg (1942-1976), member of the PIRA, and was convicted in 1973 in Britain of conspiracy to commit arson
- Group Captain Sir James Martin Stagg, British meteorologist who persuaded General Dwight D. Eisenhower to change the date of the Allied invasion of Europe
- Barry Stagg (b. 1944), Canadian musician, composer and play writer
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Stagg Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stagg Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 February 2013 at 14:02.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is