100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Spielmann family come from? What is the German Spielmann family crest and coat of arms? When did the Spielmann family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Spielmann family history?The roots of the German surname Spielmann lie in the kingdom of Bavaria, where the name originated. Spielmann is an occupational name, deriving from the Middle High German verb "spillen," meaning "to play, jest, sport." Thus, it is likely that the name was originally borne by an actor or a jester.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Spielmann, Spielman, Spellman, Spelmann, Spellmann, Speilman, Speillmann, Spillman, Spillmann, Spilman and many more.
First found in the city of Offenburg, in modern Baden-Wuerttemburg, where the name Spielman could be considered to make a great early contribution to the feudal society which became the backbone of early development of Europe. The name Spielmann became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in a constantly changing territorial profile.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spielmann research. Another 177 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1786, 1790, 1626, 1588, 1722 and 1783 are included under the topic Early Spielmann History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 91 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Spielmann Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Spielmann Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Spielmann and his wife Maria, arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Johannes Spielmann, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Leonhard Spielmann, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1773
- Leonhard Spielmann, who came to Pennsylvania in 1773
Spielmann Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Engelbert Spielmann, who arrived in America in 1830
- G F Spielmann, who landed in Missouri in 1841
- Frederick Spielmann, aged 46, landed in Missouri in 1844
- John Henry Spielmann, aged 24, arrived in Missouri in 1846
- Anna Spielmann, aged 23, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1893
- Peter James Spielmann (b. 1952), American journalist and educator
- Johannes Spielmann (1916-2005), German Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Andrew Spielmann, America entomologist at Harvard University
- Götz Spielmann (b. 1961), Austrian Academy Award nominated film director
- Marion Harry Alexander Spielmann (1858-1948), English art critic, editor of The Connoisseur and Magazine of Art
- Philip Spielmann Nielsen (b. 1992), Danish electronica artist
- Rudolf Spielmann (1883-1942), Austrian chess player, known for the Spielmann Variation
- Dean Spielmann (b. 1962), Luxembourg lawyer, current Judge of the European Court of Human Rights
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
The Spielmann Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Spielmann Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2013 at 07:20.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!