BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Spielmann family come from? What is the German Spielmann family crest and coat of arms? When did the Spielmann family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Spielmann family history?The roots of the German surname Spielmann lie in the kingdom of Bavaria, where the name originated. Spielmann is an occupational name, deriving from the Middle High German verb "spillen," meaning "to play, jest, sport." Thus, it is likely that the name was originally borne by an actor or a jester.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Spielmann, Spielman, Spellman, Spelmann, Spellmann, Speilman, Speillmann, Spillman, Spillmann, Spilman and many more.
First found in the city of Offenburg, in modern Baden-Wuerttemburg, where the name Spielman could be considered to make a great early contribution to the feudal society which became the backbone of early development of Europe. The name Spielmann became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in a constantly changing territorial profile.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spielmann research. Another 177 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1786, 1790, 1626, 1588, 1722 and 1783 are included under the topic Early Spielmann History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 91 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Spielmann Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Spielmann Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Spielmann and his wife Maria, arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Johannes Spielmann, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Leonhard Spielmann, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1773
- Leonhard Spielmann, who came to Pennsylvania in 1773
Spielmann Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Engelbert Spielmann, who arrived in America in 1830
- G F Spielmann, who landed in Missouri in 1841
- Frederick Spielmann, aged 46, landed in Missouri in 1844
- John Henry Spielmann, aged 24, arrived in Missouri in 1846
- Anna Spielmann, aged 23, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1893
- Peter James Spielmann (b. 1952), American journalist and educator
- Johannes Spielmann (1916-2005), German Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Andrew Spielmann, America entomologist at Harvard University
- Götz Spielmann (b. 1961), Austrian Academy Award nominated film director
- Marion Harry Alexander Spielmann (1858-1948), English art critic, editor of The Connoisseur and Magazine of Art
- Philip Spielmann Nielsen (b. 1992), Danish electronica artist
- Rudolf Spielmann (1883-1942), Austrian chess player, known for the Spielmann Variation
- Dean Spielmann (b. 1962), Luxembourg lawyer, current Judge of the European Court of Human Rights
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
The Spielmann Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Spielmann Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2013 at 07:20.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is