100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Speer family come from? What is the Scottish Speer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Speer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Speer family history?The Speer surname comes from the Old English word "spere," meaning "spear." It may have orginally been a nickname for a tall skinny person, or perhaps for a hunter skilled at using the spear.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Speir, Spier, Spears, Speirs, Spiers, Speer, Speers, Spere, Speres, Spire, Spires, Speyer, Speier, Speery and many more.
First found in Renfrewshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Speer research. Another 157 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1417, 1475, 1626, and 1664 are included under the topic Early Speer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Speer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Speer family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 261 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Speer Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Speer, who landed in Maryland in 1665
Speer Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew Speer, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Moses Speer, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- James Speer, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- John Michael Speer, who arrived in America in 1832
- Thomas Speer, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- Robert Milton Speer (1838-1890), American member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Robert Elliott Speer (1867-1947), American religious leader and authority on missions
- Thomas Jefferson Speer (1837-1872), U.S. Representative from Georgia
- Emory Speer (1848-1918), American politician, soldier and lawyer
- Berthold Konrad Hermann Albert Speer (1905-1981), German architect, author and, for part of World War II, Minister of Armaments, sometimes called "the first architect of the Third Reich"
- Stewie Speer (1928-1986), Australian drummer
- Hugo Speer (b. 1969), English actor
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Speer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Speer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2012 at 08:02.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!