BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Southworth family come from? What is the English Southworth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Southworth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Southworth family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Southworth, Southwood, Sowarth, Southwerth and others.
First found in Lancashire, principally in the area of Samlesbury Hall where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Southworth.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Southworth research. Another 282 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1592 and 1654 are included under the topic Early Southworth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 69 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Southworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Southworth family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 105 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Southworth Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Southworth, who arrived in America in 1620
- Edward and Alice Southworth and her son Edward, and Constance, who settled in Plymouth Massachusetts in 1621
- Alice Southworth, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1623
- Alice Carpenter Southworth, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1623
- Thomas Southworth, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1628
Southworth Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- E Southworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- F H Southworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- B Southworth, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- A Southworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- S. C. H. Southworth arrived in San Francisco in 1852
- Emma Dorothy Eliza Nevitte Southworth (1819-1899), American writer
- Billy Southworth (1893-1969), American Major League Baseball player and manager
- Daniel Southworth (b. 1974), American Actor
- Bobby Southworth (b. 1969), American mixed martial arts fighter
- George Clark Southworth (1890-1972), American radio engineer discoverer of waveguides
- John Southworth (b. 1972), Canadian pop singer-songwriter
- Helen Southworth (b. 1956), Labour Party politician in the United Kingdom
- Albert Southworth (1811-1894), co-propietor of Southworth & Hawes photographic studio
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Southworth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Southworth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 April 2014 at 02:38.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is