100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Southworth family come from? What is the English Southworth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Southworth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Southworth family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Southworth, Southwood, Sowarth, Southwerth and others.
First found in Lancashire, principally in the area of Samlesbury Hall where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Southworth.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Southworth research. Another 282 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1592 and 1654 are included under the topic Early Southworth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 69 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Southworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Southworth family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 105 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Southworth Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Southworth, who arrived in America in 1620
- Edward and Alice Southworth and her son Edward, and Constance, who settled in Plymouth Massachusetts in 1621
- Alice Southworth, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1623
- Alice Carpenter Southworth, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1623
- Thomas Southworth, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1628
Southworth Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- E Southworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- F H Southworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- B Southworth, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- A Southworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- S. C. H. Southworth arrived in San Francisco in 1852
- Emma Dorothy Eliza Nevitte Southworth (1819-1899), American writer
- Billy Southworth (1893-1969), American Major League Baseball player and manager
- Daniel Southworth (b. 1974), American Actor
- Bobby Southworth (b. 1969), American mixed martial arts fighter
- George Clark Southworth (1890-1972), American radio engineer discoverer of waveguides
- John Southworth (b. 1972), Canadian pop singer-songwriter
- Helen Southworth (b. 1956), Labour Party politician in the United Kingdom
- Albert Southworth (1811-1894), co-propietor of Southworth & Hawes photgraphic studio
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Southworth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Southworth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 April 2014 at 02:38.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!