An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Spanish Sotelo family come from? What is the Spanish Sotelo family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sotelo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sotelo family history?The original bearer of the name Sotelo, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Sotelo family originally lived in one of the numerous towns or villages named Soto. The place-name Soto is derived from the Spanish word "soto," which refers to a "thicket" or "grove." This word is itself derived from the Latin word "saltus," which refers to a pasture land containing a forest or wood.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Soto, de Soto, Desoto, Sota, de Sota, de la Sota, Desota, Sotela, Sotelo, de Sotelo, Sotera, Sotero, Sotillo and many more.
First found in Castile, in north central Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sotelo research. Another 179 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1227 and 1830 are included under the topic Early Sotelo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 153 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sotelo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sotelo Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
The Sotelo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sotelo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 July 2013 at 14:47.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.