BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Singleton family come from? What is the English Singleton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Singleton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Singleton family history?The lineage of the name Singleton begins with the Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It is a result of when they lived in the village of Singleton found in the counties of Lancashire and Sussex. The surname Singleton is a habitation surname which was originally derived from pre-exiting names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. The literal meaning of the surname Singleton is farm in the burnt clearing from the Old English word sengel.
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Singleton has undergone many spelling variations, including Singleton, Singleturn, Shingleton and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Singleton research. Another 151 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1677, 1640, 1618 and 1637 are included under the topic Early Singleton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 63 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Singleton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Singleton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 155 words(11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Singleton were among those contributors:
Singleton Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Singleton, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1625
- Joe Singleton, who arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Jo Singleton, aged 18, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Henry Singleton, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- John Singleton and Henry Singleton, who both came to Virginia in 1651
Singleton Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jos Singleton, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- Joseph Singleton, who landed in Virginia in 1704
- Elianor Singleton, who arrived in Virginia in 1706
- Wm Singleton, who landed in Virginia in 1714
- Matthew Singleton, who landed in Virginia in 1752
Singleton Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Able Singleton, who landed in America in 1830
- Dan'l Singleton, aged 17, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1844
- William Singleton, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- David Singleton, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1851
- Samuel S Singleton, who landed in St Clair County, III in 1857
- Alvin Singleton (b. 1940), American composer
- Henry Earl Singleton, American engineer who invented the gyroscope, Co-Founder of Teledyne, Vice-President at Litton Industries
- Penny Singleton (1908-2003), American actress, best known for her role as the comic strip heroine Blondie Bumstead in 28 motion pictures (1938 to 1950) and as the voice of Jane Jetson in the animated series The Jetsons
- Kenneth "Ken" Wayne Singleton (b. 1947), American former Major League Baseball outfielder and designated hitter
- James Alexander Singleton (b. 1981), American professional basketball player
- William Dean Singleton (b. 1951), American newspaper executive, chairman of the board of directors of the Associated Press
- John Daniel Singleton (b. 1968), American film director, screenwriter, and producer
- Arthur James "Zutty" Singleton (1898-1975), American early jazz drummer
- Shelby Singleton (1931-2009), American record producer and record label owner
- Chris Singleton (b. 1967), American NFL football player
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Singleton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Singleton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 April 2014 at 13:03.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is