100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Sibley family come from? What is the English Sibley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sibley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sibley family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sibley, Siblee, Sibbills, Sibleigh, Siblie, Sibly, Sibbly, Sible, Sibely, Sibili, Sebley, Sibble, Sibbles, Sybly and many more.
First found in Suffolk where they held a family seat. The name is said to have been derived from the ancient Sibbelee, a woman's Christian name, and has been traced through Sibilla, Sybbly, and finally Sibley. Sibilla was the name of a Greek princess who uttered the ancient oracles, and is represented on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The present Christian name Sybil is also from the same source. In 1273, Geoffrey Sibilie held lands in Suffolk. William, Duke of Normany's son married a Sibylla.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sibley research. Another 248 words(18 lines of text) covering the year 1604 is included under the topic Early Sibley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Sibley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sibley Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Sibley who was recorded as having arrived in Virginia in 1623
- John Sibley, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1630
Sibley Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Sibley, aged 30, landed in Pennsylvania in 1748
- Richard Sibley, who arrived in America in 1765
Sibley Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Roelof Sibley, aged 4, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- J Sibley, aged 7, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Figby Sibley, aged 10, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- H Sibley, aged 43, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Roelof Sibley arrived in New York, NY in 1847
Sibley Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Ada Gertrude Sibley, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from North Allerton, in 1906
- Albert Sibley, aged 24, who landed in America from Devonport, England, in 1906
- Alice Sibley, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Brighnel, England, in 1908
- Alfred Sibley, aged 25, who landed in America from Middlesboro, England, in 1910
- Albert Sibley, aged 30, who emigrated to America from Southampton, in 1923
- Alexander Hamilton Sibley (1817-1878), American-born, Canadian businessman, president of the Silver Islet Mining Company which operated the first silver mine in Ontario
- Celestine Sibley (1914-1999), American writer
- Charles Sibley (1917-1998), American ornithologist and molecular biologist
- David Allen Sibley (b. 1962), American ornithologist, author and illustrator of The Sibley Guide to Birds
- David McAdams Sibley Sr. (b. 1948), Texas politician and lobbyist
- Henry Hastings Sibley (1811-1891), first Governor of Minnesota (1858 to 1860)
- Henry Hopkins Sibley (1816-1886), Confederate brigadier general
- Hiram Sibley (1807-1888), American entrepreneur who founded Sibley College of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanic Arts, Ithaca, New York
- Marilyn McAdams Sibley (1921-2006), American historian, president of the Texas State Historical Association (1981 to 1982)
- Solomon Sibley (1769-1846), American politician, Delegate to Congress and Supreme Court Justice for Michigan Territory
- The Sibley Family in America, 1629-1972 by James Scarborough Sibley.
- The Sibley Family in America, 1629-1972: with Data Compiled by 1982 by James Scarborough Sibley.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Sibley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sibley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 December 2012 at 15:05.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!