BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Shovlin family come from? What is the English Shovlin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Shovlin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Shovlin family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shovel, Showl, Shovell, Shoveller, Shouler, Showler and many more.
First found in Hertfordshire, where the first record of the name was Aluricus Scoua who was listed in the Domesday Book. Leuuinus Scufe was listed c. 1067 in the reference "Old English Bynames" and Wulnod Scoue was listed as a Templar Knight in 1185. The name is probably derived from the Old English word "scufa," which means to "thrust, push." The name is often metonymic for Shoveller and it's variants. In this latter case, the name is a trade name for someone who makes "shovels." As the names are so similar phonetically, it is now difficult to clearly determine which origin is which.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shovlin research. Another 179 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1301, 1609, 1703, 1777, 1650 and 1707 are included under the topic Early Shovlin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Shovlin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shovlin Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Annie Shovlin, aged 20, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1894
- Susan Shovlin, aged 22, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1898
- Hugh Shovlin, aged 30, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1899
- Andrew Shovlin, aged 27, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1899
Shovlin Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Ellen Shovlin, aged 23, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1900
- John Shovlin, aged 24, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1907
- Patrick Shovlin, aged 24, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1907
- Catherine Shovlin, aged 24, who arrived in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1908
- Bernard Shovlin, aged 24, who arrived in America from Andara, Ireland, in 1908
- John Joseph Shovlin (1891-1976), American Major League Baseball second baseman who played from 1911 to 1920 for the Pittsburgh Pirates and St. Louis Browns
- John Shovlin, American Associate Professor of History at New York University
- Jamie Shovlin (b. 1978), British conceptual artist
- Dr. Frank Shovlin, Irish professor of Irish Studies at the University of Liverpool
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Shovlin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Shovlin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 July 2014 at 14:25.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is