100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Shackelford family come from? What is the English Shackelford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Shackelford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Shackelford family history?The Shackelford surname was a habitational name created from the place named Shackleton in the parish of Halifax, West Yorkshire. The place name is thought to derive from the Old English word "scacol," which describes a "tongue of land" and "tun," meaning "enclosure," or "settlement."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shackleton, Shackle, Sheckleton and others.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shackelford research. Another 325 words(23 lines of text) covering the years 1246, 1280, 1302, 1601, and 1602 are included under the topic Early Shackelford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Shackelford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Shackelford family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 128 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shackelford Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Stella Shackelford, who settled in America, in 1907
- Alice Shackelford, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Mary Shackelford, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Elizabeth Shackelford, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States, in 1913
- William E Shackelford, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1917
- Theodore Tillman "Ted" Shackelford III (b. 1946), American actor, best known for his role as Gary Ewing on the television series Knots Landing (1979 to 1993)
- James Murrell Shackelford (1827-1907), American lawyer, judge, and general in the Union Army during the American Civil War
- Sonny Shackelford (b. 1985), American football wide receiver
- Lottie H. Shackelford, African-American politician, the first woman elected Mayor of Little Rock, Arkansas in 1987
- Lynn Shackelford (b. 1947), retired American professional basketball player
- Francis Shackelford (1909-1973), United States General Counsel of the Army (1950 to 1952) and Assistant Secretary of the Army (1952 to 1953)
- John Williams Shackelford (1844-1883), American politician, Democratic Congressman from North Carolina (1881 to 1883)
- James Barnes Shackelford (1886-1969), early American cinematographer from Wichita, Kansas
- Edmund Meredith Shackelford (1786-1857), American Brigadier General
- Brian Wesley Shackelford (b. 1976), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Shackelford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Shackelford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 November 2013 at 20:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!