100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Schwind family come from? What is the German Schwind family crest and coat of arms? When did the Schwind family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Schwind family history?The name Schwind is derived from the Middle High German word "swinde," meaning "impetuous," or "fierce." It was probably a nickname of the person who came to be the first bearer of Schwind as a surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schwindt, Schwind, Schwinde, Schwindl,Swind, Swinde, Swindel and many more.
First found in Upper Germany. Early records of the name include Conrad Swinde of Grunberg in Hesse in 1362, and Nicolaus Swindel in Mies in 1364.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schwind research. Another 118 words(8 lines of text) covering the years 1792, 1855, and 1863 are included under the topic Early Schwind History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Schwind Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schwind Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Schwind, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
Schwind Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Schwind, who landed in America in 1849
- John Schwind, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1858
- Peter Schwind, who landed in Iowa in 1864
- Sophie Schwind, who arrived in New York, NY in 1892
- Magdalene Schwind, aged 9, arrived in New York, NY in 1892
Schwind Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Ignatz Schwind, aged 25, who emigrated to America from Einbach, Germany, in 1907
- Paul Schwind, aged 24, who landed in America from Thum, Germany, in 1909
- Otto Schwind, aged 29, who settled in America from Dalheim, Germany, in 1914
- Herbert Schwind, aged 11, who landed in America from Thalleim, Germany, in 1921
- Erich Schwind, aged 14, who emigrated to the United States from Thalleim, Germany, in 1921
- William F Schwind Jr. (b. 1944), American Vice-president, General Counsel and Secretary of Marathon Oil Corporation (1992)
- Arthur Edwin Schwind (1889-1968), American Major League Baseball player
- Klaus Schwind (b. 1952), German professional footballer
- Moritz von Schwind (1804-1871), Austrian painter
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
The Schwind Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schwind Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 December 2012 at 16:48.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!