100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Schnabel family come from? What is the German Schnabel family crest and coat of arms? When did the Schnabel family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Schnabel family history?The Schnabel surname is a habitational name derived from any of several places in Germany, Bohemia, and Austria named Schneeberg. These place names derived from the German word "schnee," meaning "snow," and "berg," or "mountain."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schneeberger, Schneeburg, Schnech, Scheewasser, Schneeweiss, Schnaberg, Schnabelburg and many more.
First found in Switzerland, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schnabel research. Another 215 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1524, 1664, 1792, 1546, 1692 and 1751 are included under the topic Early Schnabel History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schnabel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schnabel Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jno Schnabel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1762
- Johannes Schnabel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1766
- Joh Conrad Schnabel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1768
- Joh Friederich Schnabel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1768
- Martin Schnabel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1768
Schnabel Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Albrecht Schnabel, who came to New Orleans in 1839
- Adam Schnabel, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1839
- C H Schnabel, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Benjamin Schnabel, who arrived in New York, NY in 1850
- Augst Schnabel, aged 39, arrived in New York, NY in 1852
- Artur Schnabel (1882-1951), Polish- Austrian classical pianist and composer
- Charles Francis Schnabel (1895-1974), American agricultural chemist
- Julian Schnabel (b. 1951), award winning American painter and filmmaker
- Enrico Schnabel, German Olympic rower
- Ernst Schnabel (1913-1986), German writer
- Franz Schnabel (1887-1966), German historian
- Johann Schnabel (d. 1546), German theologian and reformer
- Joseph Ignaz Schnabel (1767-1831), German composer
- Karl Ulrich Schnabel (1909-2001), German classical pianist
- Stefan Schnabel (1912-1999), German actor
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
The Schnabel Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schnabel Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 September 2013 at 19:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!