100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Schiller family come from? What is the German Schiller family crest and coat of arms? When did the Schiller family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Schiller family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schiller, Schillers, Schilers and others.
First found in Wuerttemberg, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schiller research. Another 215 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1580, 1601, 1627, and 1802 are included under the topic Early Schiller History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 50 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schiller Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schiller Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Christian Schiller, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1749
- Johann Ludwig Ernst Schiller settled in America in 1754
- Joh Lud Ernst Schiller, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Johann Schiller, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Ludwig Schiller, who landed in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1760
Schiller Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Christoph Schiller, aged 29, arrived in Missouri in 1839
- Wilhelm Schiller, who arrived in Texas in 1846
- Joh Chr Schiller, aged 20, landed in New York in 1849
- Peter Joseph Schiller, aged 60, arrived in Missouri in 1849
- Christ Schiller, aged 28, landed in New York, NY in 1852
- Eric Schiller (b. 1955), American chess player
- Herbert Irving Schiller (1919-2000), American media critic, sociologist, author, and scholar
- John Schiller (1830-1926), Union Army soldier during the American Civil War, recipient of the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm
- Ferdinand Canning Scott Schiller (1864-1937), influential German-born philosopher
- Karl August Fritz Schiller (1911-1994), German scientist and politician
- Christian Schiller (1895-1976), HM Inspector of Schools in the United Kingdom
- Heinz Schiller (1930-2007), Swiss former racing driver
- Philip W. Schiller (b. 1960), senior vice president of worldwide product marketing at Apple Inc
- The Schiller-Vallier and Related Families by Katherine Schiller Mulanax.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
The Schiller Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schiller Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 July 2013 at 13:20.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!