100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Schaefer family come from? What is the German Schaefer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Schaefer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Schaefer family history?The distinguished surname Schaefer is German in origin. It is derived from the Middle High German term "schaffaere," which referred to the manager or steward of a household.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schaeffers, Schaefer, Scheaffer, Schaefers, Schaffer, Schafer, Shaeffer, Schefer, Shaefer and many more.
First found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schaefer research. Another 269 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1813, 1787, 1425, 1503, 1451, 1624 and 1677 are included under the topic Early Schaefer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 101 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schaefer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schaefer Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Enners Schaefer, who arrived in America in 1709-1711
- Hs Schaefer, who arrived in America in 1709-1711
- Hs Georg Schaefer, who landed in America in 1709-1711
- Joh Henr Schaefer, who arrived in America in 1709-1711
- Agnes Schaefer, who arrived in America in 1730
Schaefer Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Christine Schaefer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1806
- Katharine Schaefer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806
- Kath Schaefer, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Syriacus Schaefer, who landed in North America in 1832-1849
- W Schaefer, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Staff Sergeant Joseph E Schaefer (1918-1987), American Army soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- Frederick Schaefer (b. 1842), German revolutionary and Union Army colonel during the American Civil War who co-founded F. & M. Schaefer Brewing Company with his brother Maximilian
- Herman H. Schaefer (1919-1980), American professional basketball player and coach
- Milner Baily "Benny" Schaefer (1912-1970), American biologist who speicalized in the fisheries, eponym of the Schaefer short-term catch equation
- William Donald Schaefer (1921-2011), American politician, 58th Governor of Maryland (1987 to 1995)
- Herman A. "Germany" Schaefer (1876-1919), American Major League Baseball second baseman
- Carl Fellman Schaefer (b. 1903), artist and educator
- George Louis Schaefer (1920-1997), Emmy Award-winning producer and director
- Peter Schaefer (b. 1977), Canadian professional NHL ice hockey player
- Nolan Schaefer (b. 1980), Canadian professional NHL ice hockey goaltender
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
The Schaefer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schaefer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 December 2013 at 18:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!