100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Sample family come from? What is the Scottish Sample family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sample family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sample family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Semple, Simple, Sempill, Sempell, Symple, Sympell and many more.
First found in Renfrewshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sample research. Another 285 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1280, 1315, 1489, 1558, 1621, 1643, 1741, 1566, 1625, 1591, 1600, 1595, 1663, 1640, 1616, 1682 and 1667 are included under the topic Early Sample History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 93 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sample Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Sample family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 119 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sample Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Sample, who landed in Maryland in 1653
Sample Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Lawrence Sample, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
Sample Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- James Sample, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1808
- Richard Sample, aged 23, landed in New York in 1812
- David Sample, who landed in America in 1819
- Mr. Sample, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1822
- Manuel Sample, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1833
- Joseph Leslie "Joe" Sample (b. 1939), American pianist, keyboard player and composer
- John B. Sample Jr. (1937-2005), American football defensive back
- William Amos Sample (b. 1955), former American professional baseball player
- Junior Sample (1926-1983), American comedian
- William Dodge Sample (1898-1945), American Rear Admiral in the United States Navy and an Escort Carrier Division commander
- Steve Sample Sr., renowned American bandleader, arranger, composer and jazz educator
- James W. Sample (1910-1995), American conductor
- Alexander King Sample (b. 1960), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- Samuel Caldwell Sample (1796-1855), United States Representative
- Paul Sample (b. 1982), British professional ice hockey player
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
The Sample Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sample Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 May 2013 at 11:04.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!