100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German, Jewish
Where did the German Sachs family come from? What is the German Sachs family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sachs family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sachs family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sachs, Sax, Sachse, Sachse and others.
First found in the city of Breslau, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sachs research. Another 220 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1494, 1576, 1698, and 1860 are included under the topic Early Sachs History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 31 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sachs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sachs Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Adam Sachs and Johann Jacob Sachs, both of whom arrived in Philadelphia in 1749
- Johan Jacob Sachs, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Daniel Sachs with his wife and children arrived in Philadelphia in 1751
- Daniel Sachs, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1751
- Joh Henrich Sachs, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
Sachs Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Sophie Sachs, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Samuel Sachs, aged 11, landed in New York, NY in 1848
- Johann Sachs, aged 24, landed in New York, NY in 1848
- Helene Sachs, aged 54, landed in New York, NY in 1848
- David Sachs, aged 61, arrived in New York, NY in 1848
- Robert Green Sachs (b. 1916), American professor of physics who won a Guggenheim fellowship in 1959
- Nelly Sachs (b. 1891), American poet who received a Nobel prize for literature in 1966
- Bernard Sachs (1858-1944), American neurologist
- Curt Sachs (1881-1959), American music historian
- Eddie Sachs, American racecar driver
- George Sachs (1896-1961), Russia-born German and US metallurgist
- Andrew Sachs (b. 1930), British actor perhaps best known for his portrayal of Manuel in "Fawlty Towers", a role for which he was BAFTA-nominated
- Scattered Seeds: the Descendants of Rabbi Israel, on of the Martyrs of Rozanoi, who Perished on the Second Day of Rosh Hashanah 5420 by George I. Sackheim.
- The Wernecke Family by Gretchen Ann Wernecke.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Sachs Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sachs Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 September 2013 at 15:28.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!