BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Ryder family come from? What is the English Ryder family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ryder family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ryder family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ryder, Rider, Ryther and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ryder research. Another 207 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1562 and 1632 are included under the topic Early Ryder History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Ryder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ryder family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 59 words(4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ryder Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Ryder settled in Plymouth Massachusetts in 1630
- Charles Ryder, who arrived in Maryland in 1652-1653
- Symon Ryder settled in Virginia in 1678
- Honor Ryder, who landed in Maryland in 1680
Ryder Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Ryder, who landed in Virginia in 1705
- Fatten Ryder, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1755
Ryder Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- James Patrick Ryder, who arrived in New York in 1844
- Ella Ryder, aged 27, arrived in New York, NY in 1850
- Adam Ryder, who landed in Arkansas in 1850
- John Ryder, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1858
- Corbet Ryder, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1860
- Major General Charles Wolcott Ryder (1892-1960), US Army General who during World War II, commanded the 34th Infantry Division
- Major General Donald Ryder, U.S. military lawyer
- Brigadier General William Thomas "Bill" Ryder (1913-1992), first American paratrooper and top Army expert in guided missile systems
- Albert Pinkham Ryder (1847-1917), American painter
- Winona Ryder (b. 1971), American Golden Globe winning and two-time Academy Award nominated actress
- Arthur William Ryder (1877-1938), American professor of Sanskrit at the University of California, Berkeley
- Richard Andrew Ryder (b. 1949), English Conservative member of the House of Lords
- Commander Robert Edward Dudley Ryder (1908-1986), English recipient of both the Victoria Cross and the Croix de Guerre
- Graham Ryder (1949-2002), English geologist and lunar scientist
- Samuel Ryder (1859-1936), English businessman who sponsored the Ryder Cup
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Ryder Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ryder Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 April 2014 at 15:25.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is