100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Scottish Ruthven family come from? What is the Scottish Ruthven family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ruthven family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ruthven family history?The Ruthven surname is a Scottish habitation name. That is, the surname is derived from a place name. Some suggest the name is derived from the lands in Perthshire long held by this family.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ruthven, Ruthen, Ruthin, Wruthven, Wruthen, Rutheven, Rotheven, Rothveyn and many more.
First found in Angus, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects. This noble Scottish family claims to trace its ancestry to Thor, the Scandinavian, who settled in Scotland in the reign of David I (12th C.). It is thought that they held the Barony of Ruthven in Angus about 1050, and then branched into Perthshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ruthven research. Another 453 words(32 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1528, 1st , 1488, 1582, 1600, 1641, 1673, 1st , 1651, 1838, 1921, 1st , 1919, 1st , 1528, 1552, 1520, 1566, 1541, 1584, 1st and 1671 are included under the topic Early Ruthven History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 135 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ruthven Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ruthven Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James Ruthven, who arrived in America in 1785
Ruthven Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Ruthven, who arrived in New York, NY in 1835
- Edwin Ruthven, who settled in Philadelphia in 1861
- John Ruthven, aged 17, who settled in America from Glasgow, in 1893
- Mary Ruthven, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1893
- Mrs. Ruthven, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
Ruthven Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- J. W. Ruthven, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1906
- Chas. Ruthven, aged 31, who emigrated to the United States from Paisley, in 1906
- Thomas Ruthven, aged 8, who emigrated to the United States from Gorebridge, Scotland, in 1909
- Robert Ruthven, aged 32, who settled in America from Gorebridge, Scotland, in 1909
- Allice Ruthven, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States from Gorebridge, Scotland, in 1909
- Alexander Grant Ruthven (1882-1971), American educator, President of the University of Michigan (1929 to 1951)
- Richard "Dick" David Ruthven (b. 1951), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- John A. Ruthven (b. 1927), American artist best known for his paintings of wildlife, recipient of the National Medal of Arts in 2004
- Earl John Ruthven (1578-1600), Scottish 3rd Earl of Gowrie
- Earl William Ruthven (1541-1584), Scottish 1st Earl of Gowrie
- Major William Ruthven (1893-1970), Australian recipient of the Victoria Cross for deeds at Ville-sur-Ancre, France, in WWI
- Alexander Patrick Greysteil Ruthven (b. 1939), 2nd Earl of Gowrie, English politician
- Allan Ruthven (1922-2003), Australian rules footballer, recipient of the Brownlow medal (1950)
- Malise Ruthven (b. 1942), Irish academic and writer
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Ruthven Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ruthven Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 March 2013 at 14:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!