100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the German Ruger family come from? What is the German Ruger family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ruger family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ruger family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rucker, Ruecker, Ruckers (northern Germany), Ruckert (Franconia, Silesia), Rueckert, Rueckhardt, Ruckhardt, Rueckhart, Ruckhart, Ruckers, Rueckers, Rukker, Rucker, Ruck, Rucke and many more.
First found in Hessen, where the name became noted for its many branches within the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied and enrolled by the princes of the region. In their later history the branches became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family. Chronicles first mention Betz Ruecker of Schweinfurt in 1388 and Peschklle Ruecker of Glatz in 1343. The variation Rueckert is the more recent, and Rueckhardt first appears in the 16th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ruger research. Another 231 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1545, 1550, 1594, 1631, 1667, 1689, 1788, 1834, and 1866 are included under the topic Early Ruger History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 44 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ruger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ruger Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Philipp Ruger, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Antoni Ruger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Burckhart Ruger, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Jurg Ruger, aged 22, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Leonhardt Michael Ruger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1742
Ruger Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George Ruger, who landed in America in 1832
- Fredrick Ruger, who arrived in Arkansas in 1896
- Thomas Howard Ruger (1833-1907), American soldier and lawyer who served as a Union Major General in the American Civil War
- William Batterman Ruger (1916-2002), American gunsmith, co-founder of Sturm, Ruger & Company in 1949, eponym of the Ruger pistols and revolvers
- William Ruger (d. 1843), American lawyer and politician from New York
- Werner Rüger, German silver medalist luger at the 1938 European luge championships
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
The Ruger Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ruger Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 May 2012 at 09:40.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!