100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Rowley family come from? What is the English Rowley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rowley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rowley family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rowley, Rowly and others.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rowley research. Another 149 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1513, 1571, 1547, 1559, 1560, 1690, 1768, 1585 and 1626 are included under the topic Early Rowley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 137 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rowley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Rowley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 119 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rowley Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Rowley, who landed in New England in 1634
- Christopher Rowley, who landed in Maryland in 1656
- Jno Rowley, who arrived in Virginia in 1665
- Joseph and John Rowley settled in Barbados in 1686
Rowley Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George Rowley, who arrived in America in 1801
- Ann Rowley, aged 30, arrived in Massachusetts in 1812
- Thomas Rowley, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1833
- Nelson B Rowley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- David, George, Henry, Samuel, Thomas, and William Rowley all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870
- James Jose Rowley (1908-1992), American administrator, director of the U.S. Secret Service (1961-1973)
- Cynthia Rowley (b. 1958), American fashion designer
- Janet Davison Rowley (1925-2013), American human geneticist, the first scientist to identify a chromosomal translocation as the cause of leukemia, awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009
- Christopher Rowley (b. 1948), American Compton Crook Award winning writer of science fiction and fantasy
- Jeremy Rowley, American character actor and comedian
- John Frederick "Jack" Rowley (1920-1998), English football striker who played from the 1930s through the 1950s
- Graham Westbrook Rowley CM MBE (1912-2003), English Arctic explorer, recipient of the Massey Medal in 1963, eponym of Rowley Island
- Kenneth Francis "Ken" Rowley (1926-1995), English footballer
- Arthur Rowley (1933-2014), English footballer who played from 1952 to 1956
- Hugh Campbell Rowley (1854-1882), English rugby union international who represented England from 1879 to 1882
- The Shepard Genealogy by Lowell Shepard Blaisdell.
- One Branch of the Tree: Rowley 1630-1986 by Ralph Duane Rowley.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
The Rowley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rowley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 February 2014 at 09:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!