100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, English, German, Irish, Jewish
Where did the English Roth family come from? What is the English Roth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Roth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Roth family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wroth, Wrothe, Roth, Rothe, Rotham, Roothem, Rootham, Wrothem and many more.
First found in Salop where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Wroth who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roth research. Another 259 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1546, 1603, 1st., 1613, 1619, 1645, 1587, 1651, 1516, 1573, 1540, 1606, 1671, 1576, 1642 and 1639 are included under the topic Early Roth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 165 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roth Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Gunnar Olufson Roth, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1649
Roth Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Engelbert Roth, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Johann Roth, who sailed to Carolina and/or Pennsylvania in 1709
- David Roth, who sailed to Pennsylvania in 1720
- David Roth, who landed in America in 1720
- Georg Roth moved to Georgia in 1733
Roth Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Roth who settled in Philadelphia with his family in 1803
- Franz Ludwig Roth, who landed in North America in 1837
- Fredrick Roth, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1837
- Adam Roth, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- Carl Roth, aged 37, landed in New Orleans, La in 1845
Roth Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Johann Roth, aged 21, landed in America in 1901
- Albert Roth, who landed in Wisconsin in 1920
- Henry Roth (1906-1995), American novelist and short story writer
- Richard Roth (b. 1955), American journalist
- Philip Milton Roth (b. 1933), American author and winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1998 and the Man Booker Prize in 2011
- Simon Timothy "Tim" Roth (b. 1961), English film actor
- Miss Sarah A. Roth, aged 26, English Third Class passenger from London who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking in collapsible C
- Eugen Roth (1895-1976), German lyricist and poet
- Sir Martin Roth FRS (1917-2006), British psychiatrist
- Joseph Roth (1894-1939), important novelist from Galicia (Ukraine)
- Klaus Friedrich Roth (b. 1925), British mathematician awarded a Fields Medal in 1958
- Patrimony: a True Story by Philip Roth.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Roth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 October 2012 at 13:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!