BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, French, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Roland family come from? What is the Scottish Roland family crest and coat of arms? When did the Roland family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Roland family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rolland, Roland, Rowland, Rowlands, Rowlandson, Rolan and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roland research. Another 219 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1184, 1196, 1296, and 1555 are included under the topic Early Roland History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Roland family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 270 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roland Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Roland settled in Virginia in 1656
- Francis Roland, who settled in Virginia in 1656
- Francis Roland, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
- Thomas Roland, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1682
Roland Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Abraham Roland, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1750
- Henrich Roland, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1772
- Henry Roland settled in Pennsylvania in 1772
Roland Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Roland arrived in Philadelphia in 1804
- Monsieur Roland, who landed in New York in 1819
- J. Roland settled in Baltimore in 1820
- John Roland, who landed in Mississippi in 1840
- Johann Christoph Roland, aged 32, arrived in Missouri in 1845
- Dean Eugene Roland III (b. 1963), American musician and vocalist of the alternative rock band Collective Soul
- Charles P. Roland (b. 1918), American historian, professor emeritus of the University of Kentucky
- Dennis Roland (b. 1983), American football offensive tackle
- Edgar "Ed" Eugene Roland III (b. 1963), American musician and vocalist of the alternative rock band Collective Soul
- Edwin J. Roland (1905-1985), American twelfth Commandant of the United States Coast Guard (1962 to 1966)
- Gene Roland (1921-1981), American jazz composer and musician
- Gilbert Roland (1905-1994), Mexican-born, American two-time Golden Globe Award nominated actor
- Joe Roland (b. 1920), American jazz vibraphonist
- John Roland (b. 1941), American journalist
- Johnny Earl Roland (b. 1943), American NFL football running back, inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame
- The Roland and Spicer Families of Maryland and Dorset, England by Charles Thomas Roland.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Roland Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roland Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 April 2013 at 16:55.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is