100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Rockwell family come from? What is the English Rockwell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rockwell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rockwell family history?The history of the Rockwell family name begins after the Norman Conquest of 1066. They lived in either of two locations, one in Buckinghamshire, and one in Somerset. The places were originally called Rockholt, from the elements hroc, meaning rock, and holt meaning wood.
Anglo-Norman names tend to be marked by an enormous number of spelling variations. This is largely due to the fact that Old and Middle English lacked any spelling rules when Norman French was introduced in the 11th century. The languages of the English courts at that time were French and Latin. These various languages mixed quite freely in the evolving social milieu. The final element of this mix is that medieval scribes spelled words according to their sounds rather than any definite rules, so a name was often spelled in as many different ways as the number of documents it appeared in. The name was spelled Rockwell, Rokelle, Rockewell, Rokele, Rokewell and others.
First found in Essex where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rockwell research. Another 197 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1300 and 1324 are included under the topic Early Rockwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Rockwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Because of the political and religious discontent in England, families began to migrate abroad in enormous numbers. Faced with persecution and starvation at home, the open frontiers and generally less oppressive social environment of the New World seemed tantalizing indeed to many English people. The trip was difficult, and not all made it unscathed, but many of those who did get to Canada and the United States made important contributions to the young nations in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers with Rockwell name or one of its variants:
Rockwell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William, Susannah, Ruth and John Rockwell settled in Nantasket in 1630
- William Rockwell, who arrived in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1630
- Thomas Rockwell settled in Virginia in 1637 along with Mary
- Robert Rockwell, who landed in Virginia in 1638
Rockwell Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John Rockwell, who arrived in Virginia in 1719
Rockwell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- C. W. Rockwell arrived in New York in 1823
- Edward S Rockwell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Edward Rockwell arrived in San Francisco in 1850
- George Rockwell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Norman Percevel Rockwell (1894-1978), famed American Artist and Painter, most famous for the cover illustrations for The Saturday Evening Post for more over 40 years, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Francis Warren Rockwell (1886-1979), Vice Admiral in the United States Navy
- Sam Rockwell (b. 1968), American Hollywood Film Award winning actor
- Stewart Rockwell, American Diplomat
- Commander Dean Rockwell (1912-2005), American sailor who received both the Navy Cross and the French Croix de Guerre avec Paume
- Richard "Dick" Waring Rockwell (1920-2006), American comic strip and comic book artist, nephew of Norman Rockwell
- Llewellyn Harrison "Lew" Rockwell Jr. (b. 1944), American libertarian political commentator, activist, CEO of the Ludwig von Mises Institute
- Orrin Porter "Old Port" Rockwell (1813-1815), American Wild West law man in the Utah Territory
- Willard Rockwell Sr. (1888-1978), American founder of Rockwell International
- 1150 Years of Continuous Rockwell Families Descent A.D. 827 to 1977 by Ross Robert Rockwell.
- A History and Genealogy of the Rockwell and Thayer Families by Willard Frederick Rockwell.
- Rockwell Families from the Beginning of Time and Forever by RossRobert Rockwell.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
The Rockwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rockwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 December 2013 at 13:39.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!