BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Rives family come from? What is the English Rives family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rives family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rives family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ryves, Rives and others.
First found in Dorset where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rives research. Another 177 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1596, 1677, 1643, 1583, 1652, 1570, 1648, 1643, 1693 and 1690 are included under the topic Early Rives History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 81 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rives Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Rives family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 141 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rives Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Rives, who landed in Virginia in 1663-1664
- Edward Rives, who arrived in America in 1674
Rives Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James Rives, who settled in America in 1742
Rives Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Rives, who settled in America in 1809
- Peter Rives, who landed in America in 1809
- Reuben Rives, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- John Rives, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Amelie Rives (1863-1945), American novelist and poet
- Richard Taylor Rives (1895-1982), American lawyer and judge
- Joey Rives (b. 1963), former American professional tennis player
- William Cabell Rives (1793-1868), American lawyer, politician and diplomat
- Alexander Rives (1806-1885), Virginia lawyer, politician, and federal judge
- George Lockhart Rives (1849-1917), served as United States Assistant Secretary of State
- Jack L. Rives (b. 1952), the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer of the American Bar Association
- Francis Everod Rives (1792-1861), U.S. Representative from Virginia
- Zeno John Rives (1874-1939), U.S. Representative from Illinois
- Hallie Erminie Rives (1874-1956), as an American best-selling popular novelist
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Rives Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rives Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 July 2014 at 15:31.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is