BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Rios family come from? What is the Spanish Rios family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rios family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rios family history?The distinguished surname Rios is a proud sign of a rich and ancient ancestry. The original bearer of the name Rios, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Rios family originally lived near a river. The name was derived from the Spanish word "rio," which meant "river."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ríos, Rios, de Ríos, de los Ríos, de Rios, de los Rios, Río, Rio, del Río, del Rio and many more.
First found in Asturias, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rios research. Another 514 words(37 lines of text) covering the year 1315 is included under the topic Early Rios History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 64 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rios Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Francisco de los Ríos sailed to America in 1512
- Francisco DeLos Rios, who settled in America in 1512
- Hernando de los Ríos sailed to America in 1517
- Pedro de los Ríos sailed to America in 1526
- Sebastián de los Ríos sailed to Peru in 1534
Rios Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Ramon Rios, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Andres De Rios, who landed in America in 1812
- Hernando DeLos Rios, who landed in America in 1817
- Francisco DeLos Rios, who landed in America in 1826
- Juan Rios, aged 30, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1831
- Alberto Rios (b. 1952), American poet and author
- Alexis Israel "Alex" Rios (b. 1981), Puerto Rican-American baseball player
- Danny Rios (b. 1972), American Major League Baseball player in Nippon Professional Baseball
- José Rios (b. 1974), Spanish Olympic runner
- Francisco Izquierdo Ríos (1910-1981), professor and writer in Peru
- Juan Antonio Ríos (1888-1946), Chilean lawyer, politician and former President of Chile
- Christopher Rios (1971-2000), Puerto Rican rapper
- Carmelo Rios Figueroa (b. 1959), Puerto Rican long-distance runner
- Efraín Rios Montt (b. 1926), 26th President of Guatemala
- Gabriel Rios (b. 1978), Puerto Rican singer
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Rios Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rios Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 February 2014 at 09:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is