100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Ramos family come from? What is the Spanish Ramos family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ramos family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ramos family history?From the historical and enchanting region of Spain emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Ramos family. Originally, the Spanish people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames were adopted in Spain is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ramos, Ramis, Ramo, Rama, Ramas, Rams, Ramón and many more.
First found in Castile, a region of north-central Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ramos research. Another 375 words(27 lines of text) covering the years 1203, 1440, 1522, and 1678 are included under the topic Early Ramos History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 54 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ramos Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Cristóbal Ramos sailed to America in 1511
- Gonzalo Ramos sailed to America in 1512
- Jerónimo Ramos sailed to Cartagena in 1535
- Alonso Ramos, who sailed to Cartagena in 1535
- Benito Ramos sailed to Río de la Plata in 1535
Ramos Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Ramos, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Miguel Ramos, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Santiago Ramos, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Cristobal Ramos, who landed in America in 1811
- Pedro Ramos, who arrived in America in 1812
Ramos Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio Ramos, who landed in Alabama in 1927
- John Salias Ramos, American artist responsible for the Los Angeles Olympic Commemorative Painting
- Joseph Steven Ramos, American artist and educator
- Kenneth Ramos, American scientist, Professor in the department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Louisville
- Mel Ramos (b. 1935), American painter
- Jesús Vasallo Ramos (b. 1919), Spanish author of drama novels
- Ramiro Ledesma Ramos (1905-1936), Spanish politician, essayist, and journalist
- Angel Ramos (1902-1960), Puerto Rican media businessman, founder of the Telemundo, Spanish Language television network in America
- Juan P Ramos, Argentine lawyer, writer and historian
- Leopoldo Ramos, Mexican poet
- Manuel Ramos, Mexican writer and philosopher
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Ramos Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ramos Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 February 2014 at 14:33.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!