An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Dutch Pultz family come from? What is the Dutch Pultz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Pultz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Pultz family history?The Pultz surname is occupational in origin. It comes from the Latin word "pellis," meaning "skin" or "hide," and would have originally been born by someone who tanned or sold hides and pelts for a living.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pelten, Peltzer, Peltre, Pelzer, Pellt, Pelter, Peltern, Pelteren and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. Many of the old Counts of Holland held a family seat in this region, including one of the nations oldest families, in Brederode Castle near Haarlem.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pultz research. Another 266 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1766 and 1792 are included under the topic Early Pultz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Pultz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Eberhardt Pelz, who was on record in New Netherlands between the years 1630-1646; Henrich Pelz, who came to Newfoundland in 1777; Anthony van Pelt, who arrived in New York in 1663.
The Pultz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Pultz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 September 2010 at 15:37.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.