BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Prather family come from? What is the English Prather family crest and coat of arms? When did the Prather family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Prather family history?The Prather surname comes from the word Latin "praetor," and was a term used for a reeve, the chief magistrate or bailiff of a district.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Prater, Preater, Prather, Pretor, Prether and many more.
First found in Lincolnshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1150 when Willelmus Pretor held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Prather research. Another 276 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1208, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Prather History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Prather Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Prather Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Jonathan Prather, who arrived in Virginia sometime between 1634 and 1789
Prather Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Annie C. Prather, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Prather Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Elisabeth Prather, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1905
- Emma Fr. Prather, aged 45, who settled in America, in 1905
- Abby W. Prather, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1906
- Elizabeth Prather, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Katharina Prather, who emigrated to America, in 1910
- Maurice William Prather (1926-2001), American motion picture and still photographer and film director
- Lieutenant Commander Victor A. Prather Jr (1923-1961), American flight surgeon, best known for his contributions to "Project RAM", a government project to develop the space suit
- Brianne Danielle Prather (b. 1980), American actress, best known for her role as Hillary Lighter on the Disney Channel show The Jersey
- Richard Scott Prather (1921-2007), American mystery novelist
- H. Lee Prather, American football and basketball coach
- Hugh Prather (1938-2010), American author, minister, and counselor
- Waylon Prather (b. 1985), American football punter
- Guy Prather (b. 1958), American NFL linebacker who played from 1981 to 1985 for the Green Bay Packers
- Robert and Marshall, the Prather Family in Louisiana, from Wales, England, Virginia, Maryland by Dudley Austin Tatman.
- Nellie B.: Tales of a Texan by Angela Morgan Burton.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Prather Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Prather Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 January 2014 at 12:28.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is