100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Poulter family come from? What is the English Poulter family crest and coat of arms? When did the Poulter family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Poulter family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Poulter, Poulterer, Puleter, Pulter, Powlter and many more.
First found in Hertfordshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Poulter research. Another 285 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1504, 1546, 1547, 147., 1541, 1455, 1487, 1605, 1678 and 1996 are included under the topic Early Poulter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 47 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Poulter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Poulter Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Poulter, who arrived in Maryland in 1657
- John Poulter, who landed in New England in 1657
- Thomas Poulter, who arrived in Virginia in 1661
- Charles Poulter, who landed in Maryland in 1676
- Jane Poulter, who arrived in Maryland in 1678
Poulter Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Eliza Poulter, aged 30, who landed in America from Durham, in 1892
Poulter Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Alfred Poulter, aged 14, who settled in America from England, in 1904
- Ellen Poulter, aged 32, who emigrated to the United States from Bury St. Edmunds, England, in 1907
- Annie Poulter, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States from Woking, England, in 1913
- Arthur Poulter, aged 24, who landed in America from Plumpton, England, in 1913
- Edith Rosa Poulter, aged 32, who emigrated to America from Burton, England, in 1914
- Marlene Clark Poulter, American television soap opera writer
- Arthur Poulter (1893-1956), English recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Ian Poulter (b. 1976), British PGA golfer
- Ray Poulter (b. 1929), Australian rules football player
- Sebastian Poulter (d. 1998), British legal scholar
- Thomas "Doc Poulter" Poulter (1897-1978), British Arctic explorer
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Poulter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Poulter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 December 2012 at 10:38.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!