BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Poulter family come from? What is the English Poulter family crest and coat of arms? When did the Poulter family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Poulter family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Poulter, Poulterer, Puleter, Pulter, Powlter and many more.
First found in Hertfordshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Poulter research. Another 285 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1504, 1546, 1547, 147., 1541, 1455, 1487, 1605, 1678 and 1996 are included under the topic Early Poulter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 47 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Poulter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Poulter Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Poulter, who arrived in Maryland in 1657
- John Poulter, who landed in New England in 1657
- Thomas Poulter, who arrived in Virginia in 1661
- Charles Poulter, who landed in Maryland in 1676
- Jane Poulter, who arrived in Maryland in 1678
Poulter Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Eliza Poulter, aged 30, who landed in America from Durham, in 1892
Poulter Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Alfred Poulter, aged 14, who settled in America from England, in 1904
- Ellen Poulter, aged 32, who emigrated to the United States from Bury St. Edmunds, England, in 1907
- Annie Poulter, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States from Woking, England, in 1913
- Arthur Poulter, aged 24, who landed in America from Plumpton, England, in 1913
- Edith Rosa Poulter, aged 32, who emigrated to America from Burton, England, in 1914
- Marlene Clark Poulter, American television soap opera writer
- Arthur Poulter (1893-1956), English recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Ian Poulter (b. 1976), British PGA golfer
- Ray Poulter (b. 1929), Australian rules football player
- Sebastian Poulter (d. 1998), British legal scholar
- Thomas "Doc Poulter" Poulter (1897-1978), British Arctic explorer
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
The Poulter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Poulter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 December 2012 at 10:38.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is