BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Poston family come from? What is the English Poston family crest and coat of arms? When did the Poston family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Poston family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Boston, Bouston, Bowstone, Bostown, Bostowne, Bostoun, Bawston, Bauston, Bawstone, Baustone, Bowsting, Bowstain and many more.
First found in Roxburghshire where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Poston research. Another 339 words(24 lines of text) covering the years 1634, 1638, 1676 and 1732 are included under the topic Early Poston History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 55 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Poston Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Poston Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- C D Poston, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- C.E. Poston, aged 37, who landed in America, in 1894
Poston Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Richard W. Poston, aged 59, who emigrated to America from England, in 1908
- James Poston, aged 34, who settled in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1909
- Robert L. Poston, aged 50, who landed in America, in 1918
- Thomas Poston, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1919
- Joseph Poston, who emigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1919
- Thomas Gordon "Tom" Poston (1921-2007), American television and film actor, best remembered as the recurring guest star on The Bob Newhart Show
- Bryan A. Poston (1924-2009), American politician in Louisiana
- Elizabeth Poston (1905-1987), English composer, pianist, and writer
- Timothy "Tim" Poston (b. 1945), English mathematician, best known for his work on catastrophe theory
- Charles Debrille Poston (1825-1902), Arizona politician, the "Father of Arizona"
- Jim Poston CBE (1945-2007), Governor of the Turks and Caicos Islands (2002 to 2005)
- Those Who Have Gone Before by Miriam Halbert Bales.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
The Poston Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Poston Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 November 2013 at 07:08.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is