100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Dutch, German
Where did the Dutch Post family come from? What is the Dutch Post family crest and coat of arms? When did the Post family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Post family history?The original bearer of the surname post would have lived near an important boundary, marked by a pole or post. This surname can be found in many areas in the Netherlands, and is ranked among the most common surnames in the country.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Post, van der Post, Vander Post, Poste and others.
First found in virtually every province in the Netherlands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Post research. More information is included under the topic Early Post History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 131 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Post Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Post Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Adriaaen Post, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664
- Lodewyck Corneliszen Post, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664
- Stephen Post, who landed in America in 1630
- Richard Post, who arrived in Long Island in 1640
- Jacob Post, who arrived in Virginia in 1651
Post Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Daniel Post, who landed in New York in 1715-1716
- Johan Hend Post, who landed in New York in 1715-1716
- Laurence Post, who came to Philadelphia in 1730
- Nicolas Post, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1736
- Friedrich Post, who came to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1742
Post Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Isidro Post, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1823
- Wolbert Post, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1829
- Betty Von Post, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Carl Post, who landed in North America in 1832-1849
- Albert Von Post, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- George Browne Post (1837-1913), American architect
- Emily Price Post (1872-1960), American etiquette authority and popular syndicated newspaper column
- Wiley Hardeman Post (1899-1935), American aviator, the first pilot to fly solo around the world who went on to publish the book, "Around the World in Eight Days"
- Markie Post (b. 1950), American actress
- Howard Post (1927-2010), American cartoonist and animator
- Mike Post (b. 1944), American Grammy and Emmy award-winning composer
- Charles William "C.W." Post (1854-1914), American breakfast cereal and foods manufacturer, founder of Postum Cereal Co. in 1895 which would later become Post Cereals
- Emil Leon Post (1897-1954), American mathematician and logician
- Nathan Woodworth Post (1881-1938), American politician, 8th and 10th Governor of American Samoa
- Ted Post (1918-2013), American Primetime Emmy Award nominated television and film director, known for his work on Magnum Force (1973), Gunsmoke (1955) and Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
The Post Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Post Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 February 2014 at 08:58.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!