BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Posey family come from? What is the English Posey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Posey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Posey family history?The Posey surname is a habitational name, taken on from Pusey in present-day Oxfordshire, but formerly in Berkshire. The place name comes from the Old English "peose", or "piosu" meaning "pea" "island." The surname may also have evolved from the village of Pewsey in Wiltshire, recorded in Domesday Book as Pevesie.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pusey, Powsey, Pusie and others.
First found in Berkshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Posey research. Another 233 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1594, 1665, 1650 and 1727 are included under the topic Early Posey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 77 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Posey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Posey Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Posey, who arrived in Maryland in 1640
- John Posey (b. 1957), American actor
- Buford Posey, American Civil rights worker
- Francis Blackburn Posey (1848-1915), Indiana lawyer and politician
- James Mikely Mantell Posey (b. 1977), American professional basketball player
- John Adams Posey (1889-1963), Indiana lawyer and politician
- Gerald Dempsey "Buster" Posey III (b. 1987), American Major League Baseball catcher and first baseman for the San Francisco Giants
- Sam Posey (b. 1944), retired American racecar driver and sports broadcast journalist
- Carnot Posey (1818-1863), Mississippi planter and lawyer, Confederate general in the American Civil War
- DeVier Posey (b. 1990), American professional NFL football wide receiver for the Houston Texans
- The Posey Family in America by Lloyd Franklin Posey.
- The History of the Posey Family in Europe and the United States by R.H. Posey.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Posey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Posey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 August 2014 at 14:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is