100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Posey family come from? What is the English Posey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Posey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Posey family history?The Posey surname is a habitational name, taken on from Pusey in present-day Oxfordshire, but formerly in Berkshire. The place name comes from the Old English "peose", or "piosu" meaning "pea" "island." The surname may also have evolved from the village of Pewsey in Wiltshire, recorded in Domesday Book as Pevesie.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pusey, Powsey, Pusie and others.
First found in Berkshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Posey research. Another 233 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1594, 1665, 1650 and 1727 are included under the topic Early Posey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 77 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Posey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Posey Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Posey, who arrived in Maryland in 1640
- John Posey (b. 1957), American actor
- Buford Posey, American Civil rights worker
- Francis Blackburn Posey (1848-1915), Indiana lawyer and politician
- James Mikely Mantell Posey (b. 1977), American professional basketball player
- John Adams Posey (1889-1963), Indiana lawyer and politician
- Gerald Dempsey "Buster" Posey III (b. 1987), American Major League Baseball catcher and first baseman for the San Francisco Giants
- Sam Posey (b. 1944), retired American racecar driver and sports broadcast journalist
- Carnot Posey (1818-1863), Mississippi planter and lawyer, Confederate general in the American Civil War
- DeVier Posey (b. 1990), American professional NFL football wide receiver for the Houston Texans
- The Posey Family in America by Lloyd Franklin Posey.
- The History of the Posey Family in Europe and the United States by R.H. Posey.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Posey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Posey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 October 2013 at 11:42.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!