An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the English Philbrick family come from? What is the English Philbrick family crest and coat of arms? When did the Philbrick family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Philbrick family history?The surname Philbrick was derived from Felbrigg, a small village just south of Cromer in Norfolk. The place dates back to the Domesday Book where it was part of the North Erpingham Hundred and named Felebruge. The name was derived from the Old Norse "fjol" + the Old English word "brycg" and meant "bridge made of planks."  Today the Felbrigg Estate is owned by the National Trust and covers 1,760 acres and in the village church, 14th-century brasses of Sir Simon de Felbrigge and his wife can be viewed.
Anglo-Norman names are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. When the Normans became the ruling people of England in the 11th century, they introduced a new language into a society where the main languages of Old and later Middle English had no definite spelling rules. These languages were more often spoken than written, so they blended freely with one another. Contributing to this mixing of tongues was the fact that medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, ensuring that a person's name would appear differently in nearly every document in which it was recorded. The name has been spelled Felbridge, Fellbridge, Felbrigge, Felbrige, Felbridg, Fellbrygge and many more.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book, indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Felbrigg, Metton under-tenant of Roger Bigod who was recorded in the Domesday Book  census of 1086. Sir Simon de Felbrigge, son of Sir Roger Bigod, assumed the name of Felbrigg.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Philbrick research. Another 215 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1347, 1395, 1397, and 1620 are included under the topic Early Philbrick History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 36 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Philbrick Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that plagued their homeland made the frontiers of the New World an attractive prospect. Thousands migrated, aboard cramped disease-ridden ships. They arrived sick, poor, and hungry, but were welcomed in many cases with far greater opportunity than at home in England. Many of these hardy settlers went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Among early immigrants bearing the name Philbrick or a variant listed above were:
Philbrick Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
The Philbrick Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Philbrick Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 May 2013 at 18:58.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.