100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Phelan family come from? What is the Irish Phelan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Phelan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Phelan family history?Many variations of the name Phelan have evolved since the time of its initial creation. In Gaelic it appeared as O Faoilain, which is derived from the word faol, which means wolf.
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations were revealed in the search for the origin of the name Phelan family name. Variations found include Phelan, O'Phelan, Whelan, O'Failin, Phalen, Phalon, Phaelan and many more.
First found in County Waterford (Irish: Port Láirge), anciently the Deise region, on the South coast of Ireland in the Province of Munster.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Phelan research. Another 204 words(15 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Phelan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Phelan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Phelan:
Phelan Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret Phelan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Patrick Phelan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Thomas Phelan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Edward Phelan, aged 44, landed in Maryland in 1813
- William Phelan, aged 29, arrived in Louisiana in 1813
- Edward J. Phelan (1888-1967), Director-General of the United Nations International Labor Office
- James Phelan Sr. (1821-1873), American politician, senator in the Confederate Congress during the American Civil War
- James Phelan Jr. (1856-1891), American politician, U.S. Senator from Tennessee
- Pat Phelan (b. 1985), American soccer player
- Tony Phelan, American two-time Emmy Award nominated television screenwriter, producer and director, best known for his work on Grey's Anatomy
- Kieran Phelan (1950-2010), Irish senator
- Kevin Phelan (b. 1990), Irish professional PGA golfer
- Nancy Phelan (1913-2008), Australian writer
- Anita Phelan (b. 1982), British folk singer
- Anne Phelan OAM (b. 1944), Australian actress
- Phelan,Malone, Kevill, Stutz & Klaes Families by John T. Phelan.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
The Phelan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Phelan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 December 2013 at 07:10.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!