BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English-Alt, English, German
Where did the German Peters family come from? What is the German Peters family crest and coat of arms? When did the Peters family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Peters family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Peter, Petter, Peeter, Peetter, Peater, Peatter, Peters, Petersen, Peer, Peers and many more.
First found in the Palatinate, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Peters research. Another 349 words(25 lines of text) covering the years 1790, 1747, 1784, 1615, 1676, 1624, 1677, 1779, 1827, 1819, 1864, 1856 and 1918 are included under the topic Early Peters History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 205 words(15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Peters Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Peters Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edmond Peters, who arrived in Virginia in 1654
- Andrew Peters, who arrived in Virginia in 1664
- Augustine Peters, who arrived in Maryland in 1668
- Ann Peters, who landed in Maryland in 1679
Peters Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Frans Henrig Peters, who landed in New York in 1709
- Charles Peters, who arrived in Virginia in 1718
- David Peters settled in Georgia with his wife Eleanor and four children in 1733
- Arnold Peters, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1772
Peters Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Christjan Heinrich Peters, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Benjamin L Peters, aged 22, arrived in New York in 1812
- Ernst Heinr Peters, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1836
- Cath Elis Peters, who landed in America in 1840
- Anton Jos Peters, who landed in America in 1843
- Max Stone Peters (b. 1920), president of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers in 1968
- Roberta Peters (b. 1930), American opera singer who sang all major coloratura roles at the Met
- Brock Peters, American actor
- Christian August Friedrich Peters (1806-1880), American astronomer
- Jane Alice Peters (1908-1942), original name of Carole Lombard, American actress and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Private George J Peters, American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Frank Peters Jr., American music critic awarded the 1972 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism
- Ivan Augustus Murrell Peters (1943-2006), American outfielder in Major League Baseball
- Robert Louis Peters (1924-2014), American poet, critic, scholar, playwright, editor, and actor
- Arno Peters (1916-2002), German filmmaker
- Genealogical Chronology of John Peter Snyder, 1729-1807, and his Wife Mary Catharine Elizabeth (Stentz) Snyder, 1739-1782 and their Descendants by Howard W. Stentz.
- Some Ancestors and Descendants of John Frederick Peters and his Wife Mary Louise Moses of Hoosick Falls, new York by Dorothy Rudd DuMond.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
The Peters Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Peters Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 September 2013 at 19:48.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is