100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Spanish Paz family come from? What is the Spanish Paz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Paz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Paz family history?The word "paz" comes from the Latin "pax," meaning "peace." As a surname, Paz was often "assumed," and in some cases it comes from the religious title "María de la Paz" (The Virgin Mary). Alternatively, this surname may be of toponymic origin, derived from one of the hamlets and villages so named in the provinces of Lugo, Córdoba and Granada.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Paz, Delapaz, De La Paz, La Paz, DePaz and others.
First found in Galicia.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Paz research. Another 439 words(31 lines of text) covering the years 1261, 1283, 1434, 1479, 1622, 1639, and 1658 are included under the topic Early Paz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 28 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Paz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Francisco de Paz, who held the title "Duque de Estrada," and who was a member of the army of Juan de Austria
- Cristobal De La Paz, who arrived in Veragua in 1535
- Diego De Paz, who arrived in Florida in 1538
- Antonio De Paz, who arrived in New Spain in 1554
- Alonso De Paz, who came to Peru in 1555
Paz Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Esteban De Paz, who arrived in America in 1813
- Ines De Paz, who landed in America in 1813
- Diego De Paz, who landed in America in 1815
- Gabriel De Paz, who arrived in America in 1817
- Pedro De Paz, who landed in America in 1828
- Vinny Paz (b. 1962), Italian-American former boxer and world champion
- Abraham Paz (b. 1979), Spanish footballer
- Abel Paz (1921-2009), Spanish anarchist, former combatant and historian
- Sergio Almaraz Paz (1928-1968), Bolivian journalist, Andrés Almaraz (1852-1909), a Mexican chemist, and José Almaraz (b.1895), a Mexican lawyer
- Octavio Paz (1914-1998), Mexican poet and critic, winner of the 1990 Novel Prize for Literature
- Ruben Wálter Paz (b. 1959), Uruguayan football midfield player
- Adrián Paz (b. 1968), Uruguayan professional footballer
- Líder Paz (b. 1974), retired Bolivian football striker
- Pablo Ariel Paz (b. 1973), former Argentine footballer
- José María Paz (1791-1854), General Brigadier, was an Argentine military figure
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
The Paz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Paz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 March 2013 at 11:12.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!