BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Pantoja family come from? What is the Spanish Pantoja family crest and coat of arms? When did the Pantoja family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Pantoja family history?The distinguished Spanish surname Pantoja is of toponymic origin, deriving from the place-name where the first bearer lived or held land. In this instance, the surname Pantoja derives from the place-name "Pantoja." The Pantoja name is derived from the Greek word "panthos" which signifies "all gods," however some etymologists suggest the name derives from the Mozarabic "panucea" meaning "spindle of yarn."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pantojo, Pantoyo, Pantajo and others.
First found in the province of Toledo, in the region of Castilla la Nueva, in central Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pantoja research. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1551, 1608 and 1701 are included under the topic Early Pantoja History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 123 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pantoja Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pantoja Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Pascasio Pantoja, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Rodrigo Pantoja, who arrived in Nombre de Dios, Panama in 1835
- Hernan Pantoja, who arrived in America in 1836
Pantoja Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Serapio Pantoja, aged 22, who landed in America from Havana, in 1906
- Christina Pantoja, aged 22, who settled in America from Havana, Cuba, in 1917
- Juan Antonio Pantoja, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Efrain Pantoja, aged 23, who landed in America from Tampico, Mexico, in 1919
- Juan Pantoja, aged 23, who settled in America, in 1919
- Isabel Pantoja (b. 1956), popular contemporary Spanish singer
- Diego de Pantoja (1571-1618), Spanish Jesuit and missionary to China
- Juan Pantoja (1553-1608), Spanish painter
- Dr. Antonia Pantoja (1922-2002), Puerto Rican-born, American educator, social worker, feminist, civil rights leader and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Alexandre Pantoja, Brazilian professional mixed martial artist who competes in the flyweight division
- Cristina Pantoja (b. 1944), award-winning Filipina fictionist, critic and pioneering writer
- Antonio Pantoja (b. 1948), Puerto Rican actor, comedian, dancer
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Pantoja Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Pantoja Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 July 2013 at 09:30.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is