100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Panter family come from? What is the Scottish Panter family crest and coat of arms? When did the Panter family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Panter family history?The Panter surname is derived from the Middle English/Old French word "panetier;" and was an occupational name for a servant in charge of the supply of bread and other provisions in a monastery or large household.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Panter, Panther, Pantre, Pander, Pantry and others.
First found in Angus (Gaelic: Aonghas), part of the Tayside region of northeastern Scotland, and present day Council Area of Angus, formerly known as Forfar or Forfarshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Panter research. Another 228 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1373, 1471, and 1524 are included under the topic Early Panter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Panter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Panter Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Wm Panter, who arrived in Virginia in 1664
Panter Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- George Panter settled in Maryland in 1741
Panter Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William Panter settled in Philadelphia in 1860
- Gary Panter (b. 1950), American illustrator, painter, and designer
- Michael J. "Mike" Panter (b. 1969), American Democratic Party politician
- David Panter (d. 1558), Scottish diplomat, clerk, and bishop of Ross
- Frederick Kennedy Panter (1836-1864), Australian policeman who became an explorer of colonial Western Australia
- Stephen Graham "Horace" Panter (b. 1953), English bassist
- Anne Panter (b. 1984), English field hockey international
- Horace Panter (b. 1953), also known as Sir Horace Gentleman, is a bassist
- Howard Hugh Panter (b. 1949), multi-award winning British theatre impresario and theatre operator
- Frederick Kennedy Panter (1836-1864), police officer, pastoralist, and explorer in colonial Western Australia
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
The Panter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Panter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 October 2012 at 11:59.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!